Steps to Fixing Some Carpet Damages
Removing a gum from a carpet:
- Scrape off as much of the gum as you can with a spatula, and then vacuum any loose pieces.
- Rub any remaining gum using a plastic bag of ice until such time the gum is frozen.
- Use the spatula again to chip away the frozen gum.
- Carefully apply a small amount of dry-cleaning fluid to dissolve any remaining traces of the gum. Blot up the dry-cleaning fluid.
- Blot the area with a solution of 1/4 tsp. of mild dishwashing liquid and 1 cup of warm water.
- Rinse the area thoroughly, but never soak it.
- If necessary, use scissors to trim out any fabric that still has gum on it.
Patching a carpet:
- Use a circular carpet patch tool to remove a small section around a deep stain, burn, or tear.
- Peel the cover tape from a piece of double-faced adhesive patch tape. Cut it larger than the hole, and fold it to insert it into the hole in the carpet.
- Use the carpet cutter or utility knife to cut a patch piece from a carpet remnant, and then press the patch firmly over the adhesive.
For larger carpet area:
- Cover the area to be removed with a piece of trimmed scrap carpet.
- Temporarily nail or tack the existing carpet around the edge of the patch piece so the carpet maintains tension when the bad part is removed.
- Use the patch as a guide to cut through the bottom layer of the damaged carpet.
- Remove the damaged section and install double-faced seam tape on the subfloor or padding around all sides of the hole.
- Position the patch and press it firmly on to the tape.
- Remove the temporary nails or tacks to release the tension.
Repairing a seam or tear in carpet:
- Pull the sides of the carpet together until they meet.
- Temporarily nail or tack the carpet in place on either side of the tear.
- Use a curved upholstery needle and lightweight monofilament thread to stitch the carpet. If necessary, use needle-nose pliers to pull the needle through the carpet backing.
- When the tear is sewn, secure the seam with a final stitch.
- You also can use carpet adhesive to mend the seam or tear, adhering to the instructions on the adhesive package.
Carpet Cleaning Auckland 09-489 5599
Manukau, Howick, Pakaranga, Botany, Panmure, Ellerslie, Mt Wellington, Penrose, Greenlane, Remuera, Newmarket, Epsom, Mt Roskill, Mt Albert, Manurewa, Botany, East Tamaki, Otara, Dannemora, Otahuhu, Onehunga, Papatoetoe, Pukekohe, Papakura, Mangere, Manerewa, Parnel, City, Hernebay, Ponsonby, Pt Chev, New Lynn, Henderson, South Auckland, East Auckland, West Auckland, North Shore Auckland, Eastern Bays, Eastern Suburbs, Western Suburbs, Manukau City, Waitakere City, Cbd, North Shore, Shore, Waitakere, Te Atatu South, Te Atatu Penisula, Auckland City, North Shore, Glendene, Glen Eden, Titirangi, Massey, Greenhieth, West Habour, Hobsonville, Orewa, Brownsbay, North Shore, Glenfield, Birkdale, Birkenhead, Takapuna , North Habour, North Auckland, Devonport, Milford, East Coast Bays, Hibiscus Coast, Whangaparoa, Rodney District, Albany, Nth Shore, Auckland Cbd, Manukau City
Auckland Central 09-377 9044
North Shore 09-489 5599
West Auckland 09-836 0990
East Auckland 09-535 1055
South Auckland 09-262 1800