The ordinary hustle and bustle of everyday life can take its toll on your carpet. The following carpet care tips will help you maintain your appearance as well as lengthen its life.
- Vacuum heavy traffic areas 2-3 times a week, and the rest of your carpet once a week.
- Use indoor and outdoor mats at each entrance to reduce the amount of dirt tracked into your home. Be sure to clean these periodically to ensure their utmost effectiveness.
- Keep a bottle of Professional Spot Remover on hand so you can treat spots and spills immediately. Preventing today’s accidents from becoming tomorrow’s stains.
8 Carpet Care Tips
- In a pinch, make your own spot remover by mixing 1/4-teaspoon liquid detergent (without bleach) and 1 cup cold water.
- Over time, the protection on stain-resistant carpet wears down. For optimum performance, have a protector regularly applied after cleaning.
- Stain-resistant does not mean stain-proof. Be sure to act immediately to prevent spots and spills from causing permanent damage.
- Before using any spot removing the product, test for colorfastness in an inconspicuous area.
- Test area rugs for colorfastness before placing over carpet since some rugs may tend to bleed.
- Vacuum under area rugs periodically to remove loose dirt.
- To avoid color transfer between furniture and flooring after a professional cleaning, leave the protective blocks in place until it’s completely dry.
- Your furniture collects everyday dirt and soil just like your carpet. For convenience, have both professionally cleaned at the same time.
Odors are one thing, spots and spills are quite another. they happen to just about every carpet and can be difficult to remove. In the next section, we’ll offer some pointers for getting rid of those blemishes.
These stain-busters are made of products you probably have on hand, but make sure to follow the recipes exactly.